Izmir Institute of Technology
Izmir Institute of Technology is a higher education institution with a public legal personality and scientific autonomy, which conducts high-level research, education, training, production, publication and consultancy, especially in the fields of technology. It was established in 1992 to consist of “Faculty of Science”, “Faculty of Engineering”, “Faculty of Architecture” and “Institute of Engineering and Sciences”. In 1998, it was decided by the Council of Higher Education to admit the first undergraduate students to the faculties, to teach English in the preparatory class, and to have 100% English as the language of instruction.
İYTE Matematik Bölümü
- In 1998, the department started its educational activities by giving basic mathematics courses to all existing departments of the institute.
- The department moved to the Gülbahçe campus area with the opening of the Institute’s Gülbahçe/Urla campus in 1999.
- In 2001, the Mathematics Master’s Program was opened and scientific research activities were started together with education. The department gave its first Master’s graduates in year 2004 and has graduated 74 master’s student to date.
- In year 2005, the Mathematics Doctorate program was opened. It gave its first graduates in year 2015 and has graduated 20 doctoral student to date.
- In 2010, the Undergraduate Program in Mathematics was opened. In the Undergraduate Program, 4 years of formal education is given. The quota of the department, which was 40 in the first years of its opening, was increased to 50 in the last two years. The department gave its first undergraduate graduates in year 2015, and has graduated a total of 130 undergraduate student so far.
- In 2010, within the scope of the Bologna Process, the program was changed and the national credit system was switched to the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS).
- Since 2011, the Department of Mathematics continues its research and education activities in its new building.
- IZTECH Department of Mathematics currently carries out four different educational activities. It gives fundamental mathematics courses for undergraduate, graduate and doctorate programs as well as other departments.